Microloan Foundation (Malawi) Limited
Microloan Foundation (Malawi) Limited is searching for an experienced Regional Manager with impeccable integrity and extreme attention to detail to become the primary architect and steward of its Operations function at regional level.
The Regional Manager is responsible for the administration and efficient operation of a cluster of branches within an assigned region.
The role oversees regional operations, lending, product sales, customer service, risk management and compliance in accordance with the MICROLOAN’s objectives. The incumbent must leverage excellent planning, organizational, management, and communication skills in order to effectively lead a team of sales and service professionals in pursuit of specific sales, service, growth, & opportunity targets.
If you are a go-getter who would like to build a career in a friendly environment where rewards fairly commensurate with your results, let us hear from you.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
1. PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
- Manage a cluster of Branch Managers and branch staff, focusing on the achievement of agreed business plans and local marketing plans;
- Establish good working relationships with local councils, traditional leaders, other local/regional authorities;
- In consultation with Branch Managers – plan and complete community relationship building activities which create sales opportunities for the sales team;
- In conjunction with the Chief Operations Officer – design and implement a Regional portfolio scaling plan to achieve desired portfolio growth;
- Monitor and analyse growth, sales, service, credit quality, PAR and expense results across the region;
- Identify and implement corrective action where performance gaps exist within budgeted targets;
- Manage the operational controls of branches in the Region to align with local business and marketing plans (i.e resourcing, sales focus, operating hours, credit quality, complaints resolution)
- Provide input into the design of new products and services as and when required.
- Design, implement and monitor continuous improvement activities in branches and the wider region;
- Provide effective feedback via appropriate management channels to Operations, Finance and Risk areas on issues that have an impact on those areas;
- Promote a Regional Workflow Model that rebalances resources between branches to ensure that customer service is not compromised due to inefficient resourcing;
- Maximise the visibility of the MICROLOAN brand throughout the Region by actively and positively promoting the company in the communities where MICROLOAN operates;
- Optimise and maintain external relationships that promote customer acquisition and retention;
- Support improvement to and monitor the relevant customer service / customer satisfaction outcomes for the Region;
- Embed customer focus and customer service excellence in all branches and at all levels of branch staff and ensure a shared responsibility to recover customer relationships when required;
- Ensure that SLAs relating to service delivery are communicated, understood and implemented.
3. RISK MANAGEMENT AND COMPLIANCE
- Manage branch teams to meet risk management objectives, as well as compliance with MICROLOAN policies and procedures, industry best practices, and legislative requirements;
- Participate in credit committees and the approval of loans within approved delegated limits, taking care to review credit submissions in detail, and being alert to key risks and proposed mitigants;
- Cultivate and support a risk management culture in line with MICROLOAN values and ensure full compliance to MICROLOAN Operations, Human Resource, IT, and Finance policies across branches;
- Ensure a safe environment that allows all staff across the Region the ability to discuss and escalate issues of risk with the Internal Audit/Controls team;
- Accountable for maintaining high data quality standards, in particular – ensuring documentation used for credit assessment is complete and up-to-date, conforms to policy requirements and is subsequently readily accessible;
- Monitor, anticipate and communicate any adverse developments/events that may have a significant negative impact on MICROLOAN clients’ livelihoods and/or MICROLOAN operations;
- Work closely with the Internal Audit/Controls team to ensure that sound Risk Management principles and systems are in place;
- Ensure that individual branch PARs are consistently below approved thresholds by proactively monitoring portfolio trends, implementing appropriate strategies to recover arears, suggesting improvements to remedy any deterioration, and monitoring
the outcomes of remedies.
4. OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS
- Support the Chief Operations Officer with the strategic planning process for Regional operations;
- Develop tools, processes, and structures that improve the efficiency of process implementation (e.g., manuals, check-lists, routines, report forms, templates, etc.)
- Monitor KPIs and provide timely per period (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual) reports to the COO;
- Conduct branch quality of operations monitoring, including desk review of branch reports, visits to branch offices, regular field trips to village bank meetings, businesses and individual clients;
- Undertake random audit/spot checks of loan documentation (e.g. client cash flows, village bank files, client repayment booklets, etc.) to ensure branches are following established guidelines;
- Suggest improvements to the design/optimization of operational processes and procedures, particularly to achieve increased efficiency in branches, as well as between branches and other departments;
- On an ongoing basis, analyze and document progress toward branch operational targets/objectives;
- Ensure timely flow of accurate information between branches and Head Office using approved report templates and propose changes as necessary to improve the quality of information;
- Identify friction in the sales process that may prevent branches from reaching the targets and address these in a timely and efficient manner;
- Monitor progress toward monthly, quarterly, and annual KPIs for the branches, particularly profitability, efficiency (productivity), and portfolio quality;
- Work closely with the COO to operationalize the results from client level research;
- Oversee branch compliance with the approved budgets and track branch-level Operational Self Sufficiency (OSS).
5. PEOPLE MANAGEMENT
- Lead, train, coach and motivate all Regional staff in effective sales, service and credit quality methodologies;
- Monitor and provide ongoing development opportunities for the staff in the Region to allow for the achievement of current and future objectives;
- Collaborate with HR to proactively address staff safety and wellbeing issues so that overall staff satisfaction is enhanced;
- Identify and implement corrective performance management activities where performance gaps exist
- Ensure that change management and “new ways of doing business” methodologies communicated from Head Office are immediately implemented and readily adopted by branch staff;
- Build capacity of branch teams to ensure focused execution of their respective plans by using a range of methods such as formal training or information sessions, as well as coaching and mentoring both in person and remotely;
- Drive effective coordination/collaboration between branches and teams within branches;
- Support Branch Managers to recruit, develop and manage an engaged workforce, committed to achieving growth, sales, service, expenses, OSS, FSS, credit quality & ROE targets.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Minimum of a Degree in Business Management/Accounts/Finance/Commerce or equivalent from a recognised tertiary institution
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in the microlending or banking sector as a branch manager with progressive career development
- A record of success in improving systems and processes that drive operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Excellent communication, collaboration and people leadership skills in managing high performance
- A solution-oriented outlook, exceptional integrity and a strong work ethic
- Proficiency in IT packages such as Musoni, Microsoft Office Suite (particularly use of Excel) for data analysis to drive efficiency
- A strong understanding of loan origination and credit risk management processes
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a dynamic team
- Ability to learn quickly and the ability to organize and manage time effectively
- Strong knowledge of the procurement process and ability to bring structure to the management of the company’s assets
To express an interest in this role, qualified candidates who should have the right to work in Malawi are required to submit an updated CV along with a brief cover letter detailing how they meet the above requirements to email@example.com by September 22, 2023 with
“Regional Manager” in the subject line. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest.
However, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org