European Union Delegation to Malawi
Political, Press & Information Section
Ref. No: ADM/SEC/PPI/AL-III/235139/2023
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the Republic of Malawi works in close coordination with the Embassies and Consulates of the 27 EU Member States. We are a fully-fledged diplomatic mission and represent the European Union in dealings with the Malawi government in areas that are part of the EU’s remit.
We offer the post of Secretary (Local Agent Group III) in the Political, Press and Information Section. The team consists of three people and there are occasional atypical working hours. The successful candidate will serve under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Political, Press and Information Section.
Main Functions and duties:
- Distribution of EU Statements
- Co-ordination of logistics for political events and EU visibility
- Maintain contact lists of diplomatic missions, media, NGOs, Political Leaders
- Assist the Press and Information officer in the provision of documentation and information on request
- Organising and taking minutes at internal and external meetings. Producing notes and reports as required
- Drafting standard correspondence for the section
- Arrangement of official trips – internal and external
- Keep up to date files of press cuttings etc.
- Responsible for the document management of the section
- Arranging EU meetings and making preparations for meetings including EU Heads of Mission
- Replacing HOD’s Assistant when required
- Answering telephones, taking messages
- Liaison with Brussels
- Any other duties as required
- Providing support to other Sections (in line with regulations)
Candidates need to have a College qualification in Secretarial Studies, A qualification in Communications would be an added advantage. Five (5) years’ experience gained in a Diplomatic Mission, International Organisation or multi-national company.
- Excellent Secretarial/Administrative skills with /coordination and logistics
- General knowledge of the press and political situation in Malawi and Southern Africa.
- Microsoft Office and the ability to adapt to new software
- Excellent organisational, communication and interpersonal skills,
- Excellent command of English and excellent ability to reason and draft in English.
- Ability to work in a team and to work well with others in a multicultural environment,
- Excellent ability to build positive working relationships with colleagues.
- Well motivated with a good work ethic and ability to work in a proactive autonomous way and to take initiative.
- Good resilience, showing drive and determination in the pursuit of goals, even when faced with difficulties and when working under pressure.
- Initiative and good analytical skills
- Flexibility with regard to supporting the section when need arise with other tasks.
Closing date for receipt of applications: Friday 29th September 2023
(Applications must have reached the delegation by this date)
Candidates who have not been contacted by 31st October 2023 should consider that there is no follow up to their application and the EU Delegation will not further advise unsuccessful candidates.
- Short listed candidates will be invited to do a written test and oral interviews.
- Salary will depend on number of years of relevant experience.
- The vacancy is for a permanent contract.
The European Union is an equal opportunity employer and the Delegation is a smoke free environment. Recruitment of the successful candidate will be subject to medical fitness. The Delegation has HIV/Aids at the workplace policy.
The Delegation reserves the right to establish a reserve list of suitable candidates for future posts.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to delegation-malawi-HOA@eeas.europa.eu
To apply for this job please visit www.eeas.europa.eu.